Thursday, December 10, 2009

Life: Cherry Blossom 10 miler

Lately I have been having a ton of trouble keeping up with my goals. As many of you know I have a budding family including beautiful 6mo old daughter, 50hr a week job, a real estate investment company, and poker coaching business. I have been sick 4 times this winter (two colds and two stomach viruses) and I am really starting to worry about my health. I have not been grinding much due to the insane coaching schedule and I am really interested in doing something for my health but having a hard time fitting it all in. Typically when I am exercising and in good shape I do not get sick nearly as often, but with my daughter in daycare and me out of shape, I seem to be catching everything imaginable.

For me sometimes the best way to make sure I do something is to commit to doing it well in advance so today I registered for a 10 mile run. Its in Washington DC and its called the Cherry Blossom 10 mile run. I have never run 10 miles but have run in 10K's and while training for the most recent 10K (over a year ago now) did have a maximum length run of 8 miles. 10 miles will be a challenge but not impossible. My goal is to finish it in by running 10 minute miles (slow I know but I am not a natural runner). Right now I think that the best thing for me is to start scheduling runs in the same way I schedule coaching. Look at the week ahead, put things on my google calendar, and do my best to keep appointments. My friend Brandon is going to run with me (he runs marathons and is very fast) so it will be charity but he is going to help me train and go with me on my long weekend runs.

The cherry blossoms will be out in mid-April so it will be a long slog but I think its time. I am 30 and I really want to keep myself from getting fat. Since my wife got pregnant and somehow I was the one who put on weight, I have ballooned up to 220lbs. I have also been eating unhealthy food.

Everyone who knows me from coaching knows I am big on setting goals so here they are.

By April (in no particular order).
Weight: 195lbs (-25lbs)
Run Distance: 10 miles
Run speed: 10 minute miles

Good Luck at the tables
Greg (positiveEV)

No comments:

Post a Comment